Spin a cockeyed Web

A woman of a certain age, who would have lived and died without a whisper and barely a footprint on life, can now pontificate with 'the big guys'.

Thursday, March 15, 2007


Show and Tell Time

I had some questions about our pet French Angora rabbit. So I thought I'd show some pictures.

This is Fluff Bag. Affectionately known as Fluff Bucket, Fluffer Doodle, Fluffer Duff, Dum Dum or the name my husband uses- TLC (no.... that's Tastes Like Chicken) and Rabbit. 'Fluff' doesn't trip out of my husband's mouth very easily. Believe it though, Fluff comes to everyone of his names or ...... absolutely none of them including the unprintable ones. It kind of depends upon what he feels like doing. Most of the time the Fluffer feels like the most independent and perverse creature I have had the dubious privilege of knowing. I think he is 'Killer Rabbit' from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Meek does not describe this little white rabbit. At any rate, considering that rabbits and mice are the 'food' at the bottom of the food chain I have gained a whole new respect for the poor maligned predators that must take on these beasts to feed their young and stay alive. If predators could choose to farm, I'm sure they would.

If you think in terms of wild cotton tail rabbits, then Fluff is big. He is between 8 to 10 pounds - with maybe a pound of it being angora wool. Lots of hair. Just his fluffy puffy look scares the cats.

He is definitely the pictured perfect Easter Bunny.










Eostre (Anglo-Saxon) or Ostara (Old High German) is the goddess after whom the springtime festival of Easter is named. The month of April was also named in her honour AS Eosturmonað, OHG Ostarmanoth.

In Teutonic Mythology, Grimm tells us that the Anglo-Saxon name Eostre is related to Old High German adverb ostar expressing movement toward the rising sun. "Ostara, Eostre seems therefore to have been a divinity of the radiant dawn, of upspringing light, a spectacle that brings joy and blessing, whose meaning could be easily adapted to the resurrection-day of the Christian's God."

Other than a Fluff update, I have to apologize for lax blogging. I have only been doing small knitting projects, using up stash. My main activity has been spinning yarn form my winter knitting projects. So far, I've spun about 3000 yards of various yarns. I have spun most of the commercial colored roving I had stashed. Now I have started to process some of the white roving I have for dying. Some of the roving I'll dye as is and some I'll spin into yarn and dye the yarn itself. I will have pictures.

I was not going to start any serious knit projects until the end of the summer, however the 100% mohair I spun was so beautiful I couldn't resist to start knitting with it just to see how it would look as fabric. Fantastic!

Promise-- pictures coming.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jen said...

There is no way you posted this in March - I check - how did you do that?

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger tangled-web said...

I cheated. I created the blog in March but I wasn't happy with it. It was in
draft form for a while, then I got busy clearing out my parents house and
forgot it. When I went back I saw it, by that time I had moved on, so I posted
it. Funny it held the original create date and not the post date. Oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home