Spin a cockeyed Web

A woman of a certain age, who would have lived and died without a whisper and barely a footprint on life, can now pontificate with 'the big guys'.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007


I'm just about ready to send my Spinning Secret Pal's skein of yarn off in the mail today. It is a combination of different naturally colored merino wool, llama, and a little mohair. This was not a commercially bought roving although commercial rovings are much easier to spin than if you start with raw fleece like I did.

The first thing I did was start with the wool and llama colors I wanted to work with. I already had them washed and stored in my fiber stash except for new white merino fleece I bought. Merino is full of lanolin. Unlike commercial scouring, I can't strip all the lanolin out. Actually, I don't think I would even if I could, because first of all it makes the garment practically water proof and secondly it keeps the fibers from getting a dry and brittle feeling. The Merino takes three washes and a rinse. The washes are done in hot a water as hot as I can get (we keep our hot water temperature hot enough to scald if you accidentally get it wrong in the shower). The first two washes are done with 15 minutes to half hour of each other to melt and remove the lanolin. The last wash is a long soak followed by a vinegar rinse.

Here are the various natural colors that I used. This includes blue grey and chocolate brown llama wool which is really yummy.
I carded these into variegated rovings. Again a commercial carder removes more of the noils and oddities in the wool. My carding doesn't do that well, but it still makes a fun little roving.

When I started to spin, I included small pinches of dyed wool in various colors. The smaller the bit of color is the more tweed like the fabric will be. I choose to put spatches of color in so that it would be three or for stitches of the worsted weight yarn. The yarn is two ply worsted. Nothing special about it. I don't have a jumbo spindle. However, it made about 75 yards 2 ply. I don't ply with a lazy kate because I am too lazy. I take the single ply, wind it on my ball winder and ply it from the center of the ball and the outside at the same time. Something I learned at a fiber fest.











The skein was set in a final wash that sets the twist. I made a swatch from a similar skein from some of the left over wool so you can get some idea of what the fabric will look like. And that's it! My Spin to Knit skein.


Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger ChelleC said...

Sherre, Hey, I found you!!! You really DO like to remain anonymous. You ought to announce your blog's debut over on the loop.

I love the sweater you are working on. I can't believe that's Intarsia. Lovely work.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger tangled-web said...

Thanks Chelle, Blogging is new to me and I just wanted to test the water - see how easy/hard or what kind of content I could come up with. I have a lot of completed and in progress knitting projects I want to post including my Iris sweater you mentioned. I'm just not very handy with the camera. All pictures look so washed out. But maybe I shouldn't try to be such a perfectionist with that and just go for it. SW

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Ah ha! Here you are! Thanks for commenting on Chelle's site.

I want to see the sweater you wore last Saturday. Hate that I missed it.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger tangled-web said...

Hi Laura, I'm going to post some pictures of sweater in progress -this weekend, hopefully. It's actually just a stitch sampler in squares worked together. Carrol and I tried to tell Chelle that intarsia is just a fancy word for twisting yarn together. The colors are nice though.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Maenwyn said...

Hey, girl! Great spinning pictures, I'm envious, although I don't know about all that washing.

You were missed today.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Jen said...

You have the one ingrediant that I require for holding my interest on a blog - a great sense of humor!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge - if anyone could inspire me to spin - it would be you. My dog is better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home